Sunday, January 17, 2010

An Experience to Think About

As I am running out of things to blog about, I found myself going to the website: fmylife.com and looking for ideas. I cam across one that was about people working at a checkout lane and dealing with customers, so I decided to share my experience while working at HyVee Drugstore.
It was a regular Monday night when I would usually take the 6-10pm shift because it was pretty slow going. I was straightening up some of the items in the first isle when I saw this lady come in with 3 children. One was older maybe around 10 and the other two were about 5 and 3. However, the lady was handling the older girl very fiercely and telling her what to do in a very upsetting tone. I guess to me it seemed unreasonable she should be talking to her daughter that way because I've been raised in a household where my parents don't yell and swear at me. They proceeded further into the store and I didn't really think anything of it. About twenty minutes later, the family was ready to check out and the mom started putting her groceries onto my lane. At HyVee drugstore, There is only one main lane for checking out and a small area for the carts to be placed. I started ringing up her items and she told the older girl to put the cart away. The girl simply pushed the cart then let go of it so it would go into line with all of the other carts, but the mother must have thought this behavior was unacceptable for some reason because all of a sudden she grabbed the girl by the neck and arms, threw her onto the ice cream freezer and put her head down on the glass and grabbed her arms and started swearing at her. "You do not act this way in public," she shouted and I was totally freaking out. I had no idea what to do. My manager came over and told me to call 911 but I was panicing and someone over at Customer Service called instead. We have a security guard who works in the store and he came over and took the lady back and the manager took the girl. They brought them both into a conference room in the back and I was left standing at my register with a picture of that entire scene happening and another customer and her child standing at my lane. She simply said to me, "I cannot believe people would treat their children that way," while holding onto her sons shoulders. I thought to myself how lucky I was to have the parents that I do and that I don't have to be treated that way. The police came in about 5 minutes later and the lady was banned from the store. I sure hope that her children got taken away from her and put into foster care. Kids do not deserve to grow up that way. My manager asked me to write down everything I saw and heard after it had happened because the police were going to file a report. This is probably why I will not ever forget what happened.
It just made me realize how much I need to appreciate the good things that happen in my life and I cannot even think about parents or even other people abusing kids.
That's all for now my fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment