Thursday, October 22, 2009

Saying the Final Goodbye

I just recently found out that my voice lesson teacher's housband (who also teaches students how to sing) has stage 4 cancer or something severe like that. Which means he is probably going to die within the next 6 months, and I don't think any of us involved with that family is ready for that.

My friend who takes lessons from him was at a lesson one night and then came over afterwards, crying. He had found out that Mr. Elliot had cancer and was in the last stage. If you know the Elliot's you know how gracious and kind they are, and how much they affect our vocal program. Losing him would completely devestate the students in school. Last weekend, there was a magic show here at school and all the extra money that we made was supposed to go to the family to help them pay for the treatment. Of course they both still work hard, teaching many students every week, but that's not enough to pay the bills that add up when you have cancer.

It's such a depressing thing if you think about it. First, they find cancer in your body and diagnose you with it, which off the start is bad. Then you would keep trying different medicines and techniques to help you become better, but they don't work. So the cancer becomes worse and you start to get sicker and sicker. Then finally they tell you that you are in the worse stage and that there is not that much longer to live. What would you do? If someone told me that I only had a certain amount of time to live, I would try to experience everything that I have ever wanted to in that amount of time. Spending every last minute with my closest friends and family to get the chance to say goodbye to them. In the movie, "My Sister's Keeper" the little girl with leukemia goes out with her healthy sister and enjoys herself in her last years of life. I totally and completely bawled throughout that entire movie.

I really hope that Mr. Elliot can get better, or at least live his life to the fullest before his time is past, because even though I don't know him all that well, I know his wife and I know what she would be like if she lost him. Only time will tell what will happen. I hope that I can get to say goodbye to him if he does go, and explain to him how much he has helped our showchoir, choir, and the overall personality of some people here.

That's all for now my fellow bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment